Vegan sushi w/ peanut-satay sauce


Look at this sushi!! Just look at this beautiful, moist sushi. Don't think of the word moist as nasty. Free your mind of nasty inhibitions against the beautiful word "moist" that perfectly encompasses the delicious, soft rice against the tender seaweed, with a tasty peanutty sauce covering mango, cucumber, and orange pepper. It's just too freakin' good. 


Tbh, sushi isn't very difficult. It SEEMS really hard, but all you actually have to do is boil some yummy rice (adding a few extras), eat some when your family isn't looking (not optional), chop your veggies for the middle, and then roll up the seaweed to make your delicious sushi roll. My sister ate 'em all up like hotcakes, as you can see from the empty plate :'( 


The other night, I met the cutest boy who I went on DOE with again after ages. He has skin the colour of coffee, and a really big but small smile that you have to work really hard for. We were at a barbecue, with boppable rock music, and I felt fabulous. He was helping out at the pizza stand ALL NIGHT with his friend who thinks I talk way too much and since I don't eat pizza (but man, did it look so good, especially next to oh hot one) I just kept going back for water bottles. It was a two-for-one deal, and who can say no to that?, so I had six bottles of water stuffed into my bag after a couple visits. I packed as much seductiveness as I could into the sexy syllables of "A water bottle please?" and I tried to flap my eyelashes around. I don't think he got the full effect, though. Poor him. My eyelashes are truly stunning (read: actually invisible).  

The friend who does not enjoy my presence but I actually think is really funny asked me why I was drinking so much water, and I flushed red and burbled something about it being really hot. WHICH IT SO WAS NOT! I was super cold in the bloody crop top my sister had insisted I should wear. 

After a whole night of hoping and peeing, on my way to the stall for a last try (at what, I don't really know) I saw him whispering and laughing with a really short, ugly girl, who was actually soooo pretty and had a nice laugh. I'm pretty sure she's his girlfriend. Unggghhhhh. My heart hurts.  

On another note, I'm reading a wicked book right now called "Second Chance Summer" by Morgan Matson. I want to get in the summer mood amidst all this disgusting revision, so light, lovely chick lit is all I want! Henry is SO FREAKIN' CUTE. Taylor is also pretty cool, because she can see her flaws in a way many other people cannot. My kindle says I only have 20 more minutes of "read time", which, does anyone else hate? I like not knowing, otherwise I start gettin' all antsy.  

Talk soon xox 

VEGAN SUSHI W/ PEANUT-SATAY SAUCE

Makes around 8-9 rolls

Sushi rice (Me and my Mum tested this recipe lots of times, but it was the best when we stuck to this one loosely: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/99211/perfect-sushi-rice/):  

2 cups sushi rice (it must be sushi rice, so it gets all sticky and yummy. You could make it with anything, though, it just won't be as authentic. Quinoa, brown rice, couscous, you name it!)
3 cups water
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Sprinkle of salt 

1. Rinse the rice. 
2. Combine with water in a big pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat for about 20 minutes. The rice should absorb all the water. If it burns a little on the bottom, it's cool! Just eat that subtly. 
3. Whisk salt, sugar, and vinegar together, and then mix with the rice. It should become sticky and moist. 

Peanut-Satay Sauce (loosely adapted from Emily Von Euw, who is totally amazing. Here is her blog: http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/) 

1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Squeeze of juice from half a lemon
1 garlic clove
Chunk 'a ginger (I used ginger paste to make it easier, to be honest) 

1. Blend 'em all up!

To make the sushi: 

8-9 seaweed sheets
Bamboo mats covered in clingfilm
Strips of mango/avocado/pepper/cucumber
Sushi rice
Peanut-satay sauce

1. Place your seaweed sheet on your bamboo mat, making sure the wooden bits are horizontal, not vertical, so you can roll your sushi. 
2. Place a handful of rice on the sheet, depending on how big you like your rolls. I like them big-ish, so I put a big handful. 
3. Now, fill with your toppings near the edge of the sheet that you will begin to roll first, and drizzle over the sauce (or drown. I like drown)! Don't overfill, or it will all explode out. 
4. Gently roll the sushi, squeezing in after you have made the first roll over your fillings, and then roll as normal. 
5. Chop gently with a serrated knife in swift movements. 
6. Dip in more peanut sauce and stuff in your face!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate-orange frozen bananas

Sexy green smoothie bowl

Dawn of Second Year